Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Spammed - A Lot

Please be fore-warned... If you are a PC or Internet neophyte please DO NOT open any referenced link name or address referred to in the body of this piece. I didn't, so I can not tell you what the pictures look like, nor can I tell you if there were any viruses lurking at the end of the links... I circumvented all that, in the way I checked out the information... Enjoy...


Spammed – A Lot

The most important medical discovery in ages” came to me personally… Jim Smith… just to me… Three times… First at 8:28 am… Once at 8:46 am… Three times by 8:57 am… Must be real, real important news… The Most important of all medical discoveries… and announced, just to me… and by email…

And my email trash gatherer caught the first one… and slammed it into my Trash Folder… But my email trash gatherer obviously, can only handle a thirty percent efficiency rate… The other two ended up in my Inbox… just waiting… just daring… Daring me to open them up…

And as I’m putting fingers to keyboard… two more… the exact same… “The most important medical discovery in ages” just announced their arrival… 9:14 am… and 9:17 am…

I checked Google News… No earth-shattering news… No medical discovery. Even did a search… for the most important medical discovery in ages… A closed-quotes search… And Google’s reply…“Did not match any documents…”

Now I try Yahoo… It has something… produced by the same closed-quotes search… The number 1 and number 2 results begin in Arabic… Sorry, I don’t read Arabic… At least, I think it’s Arabic… And then the word “wawtec”… and I don’t know if “wawtec” is English or what… And in the preamble for my result number 1, the subject is “The most important medical discovery in ages”… Surprise… Surprise…

But there are two bccs, backcopied email addresses… Looks like someone else is getting the news… eldessie@charter and jennzanaglio@yahoo... I wonder if those two emailers are prepared for “the most important medical discovery in ages

And where is this “norcrosscouncil.org”… They appear to have sent one of “the most important medical discovery in ages” emails… They seemed to have the answer… or maybe they were just duped… and caught on some random-generating-spam-creation-program…

But what’s “wawtec”… Never heard the word before, if it is a word … So back to my trusty search engines… Merriam-Webster doesn’t have an answer… Dictionary.com neither… Wikipedia states that no results are found… (Just means that whoever invented the word hasn’t yet updated the addition of “wawtec” to Wikipedia.)

And it’s Ask.com that amazes me… The first result of my Ask.com search is a link to Jobs… This link invites me to search for full- and part-time jobs in Florida’s Treasure Coast Area… Okay I live here… and it’s very smoky, very … The next two links are for job searches… Maybe “wawtec” is some sort of career in the hydro-technical arena? Maybe?

The next Ask.com link is titled FastServers Technical… and I don’t think that the person who provided this link is too, too happy with FastServers Technical… I quote… “This server sucks”… I’m not hyper-linking to that website… Not really interested in that poor soul’s issues with FastServers Technical…

It’s at the sixth link I pause… and take a deep breath… No, I’m not going to hyper-link… but I can now see a tie… A tieback to the Arabic script I found on the first two results of my Yahoo search for “The most important medical discovery in ages”… The sixth Ask.com link has three words that immediately catch my eyes… “Riadh” (spelled incorrectly) and “Saudi Arabia”… And then I see the word of the country “Saudi Arabia” repeated in the seventh and tenth links…

But it’s the words “Images of Beheaded Man” in the hyperlinks of the sixth and the seventh search results that really take my breath… And I, who don’t do so too often… stop… and pray, quickly… And ask “What have we got ourselves into?”

I began this morning, feet on the floor… Fed the dogs… Turned on my PC… Noticed 40 emails received since 2:00 am… Took my morning meds… Then dressed to go roller-blading… I roller-bladed four blocks… and the smog plumed in… I returned to my house, took off my rollerblades… and sat down at my desk… I had decided to write a comedic piece on spam… a comedic slant to the tons of spam I receive every day…

I began… looking online for “The most important medical discovery in ages”… which became a search for “wawtec”… which turned up Arabic… Then Riyadh and Saudi Arabia… and then “graphic images of beheaded man”… Oh, my… but it is the tenth Ask.com result that frightens me… “War of 2 Worlds”… and I turn my PC off… And I didn’t find the most important medical discovery in ages…

No comments: